Lalit Narayan Mithila University Kameshwaranagar, Darbhanga is an outcome of long cherished desire of the people of Mithila. Eminent academicians like Dr. Amarnath Jha, Dr. R. C. Mazumdar, Dr. A. S. Altekar, Dr. Sunil Kumar Chatterjee and many other had expressed their views in favour of the establishment of a modern University at Darbhanga. The demand for establishing University was voiced time and again on the floors of the state legislature and in the parliament. On the 27th January, 1947 (Vasant Panchami Day) at a meeting of some of the leading citizens of Darbhanga and Laheriasarai, after Darbhanga visit by Late Prof. Binodanand Jha, then the Health and L. S. G. Minister, Government of Bihar sometime in January 1947 the Mithila University Committee was constituted with Dr. Amarnath Jha as the President, Pandit Girindra Mohan Mishra and Pandit Gangadhar Mishra, the Vice-Presidents, Pandit Harinath Mishra as the General Secretary, Kumar Kalyan Lal and Professor Quasim Hussain Secretaries, and Late Shri Padmana Prasad as the Treasurer including a few members such as Shri Jyoti Prasad Singh, the late Shri P. N. Mishra and Principal B. M. K. Sinha.
The year 1968 proved as a landmark year in the history of the University when a U.G.C. team visited Darbhanga in order to explore the possibility of establishing a multi-faculty University here. Subsequently the State Government set up a committee to examine the administrative and academic structure of the modern University at Darbhanga, following the recommendations made by the visiting team of the U.G.C.
The Government of India constituted another committee consisting of Shri T. P. Singh, Secretary, Minister of Education and Social Welfare, Shri R. K. Chabra, Secretary U.G.C. and Shri N. D. J. Rao, Education Commissioner, Bihar to look into the matters for establishing a University at Darbhanga. The committee submitted its report that the establishment of a separate and independent University at Darbhanga could be considered on merit basis.
Consequent upon the report of the above mentioned committee and considering the socio-economic background of the region, the Mithila University with its headquarters at Darbhanga was established by an ordinance in 1972 carving out colleges of Darbhanga and Kosi Divisions, from the then two Universities namely Bihar University, Muzaffarpur and Bhagalpur University, Bhagalpur respectively.
After the sad demise of Pt. Lalit Narayan Mishra in January, 1975, the name of Mithila University was amended as Lalit Narayan Mithila University. But it was soon reversed to the original name through an ordinance. However, in 1980, the name Lalit Narayan Mithila University was restored through an Ordinance.
The colleges of Kosi Division which were initially attached to this University in 1972, but were transferred to newly established B. N. Mandal University, Laloo Nagar, Madhepura, with vertical separation of the assets and liabilities with effect from 01.01.1992.
- Established 1972
- Type Public
- H. Q. Location Longitude Latitude Darbhanga, Bihar (India) 26.1700oN 85.9000oE
- Campus Urban
- Affiliation U.G.C.
- Total Area of Main Campus 201 Acres (0.91 Sq.KM. approx.)
- No. of PG Departments 21
- No. of Constituent Colleges 43
- No. of Affiliated Colleges 24
- No. of Dental Colleges 03
- No. of B.Ed. Colleges 23
- No. of Affiliated Law Colleges 02
- No. of Self-Financing Institutions 07
- Area of the University 10592 Sq.KM.
- Height from Sea Level 50 Mts.
- Population (Catchment area) 1.56 lakh (as per Census of 2011)
- Commissionary 02 (Darbhanga & Munger)
- District 04 (Darbhnaga, Madhubani, Samastipur & Begusarai)
- Feeder Area Nepal Border, Sitamarhi, Vaishali, Muzaffarpur, Saharsa, Purnia, Khagaria, Katihar